Followers of the same-sex marriage issue were forced to endure another painful round of marriage debates this week, as news commentators offered empty arguments against traditional marriage (e.g., “the State is unfairly favoring one type of love and attraction over another”) and absurd arguments favoring same-sex marriage (e.g., “one’s gay sexual tastes are analogous to being black or female”). To help erase the bad memories and fuzzy logic, here’s our own Marriage Debate:
- Q. What are the best arguments in favor of preserving and strengthening traditional marriage laws?
Before posting your answers in the comments box, consider our suggestions below–then have at it. To ensure your comments are posted, keep it clean. (There may be a brief delay while comments are being reviewed and approved.)
- MarriageNewsNow! Top Ten Arguments for Strengthening Traditional Marriage Laws
- The State has a definite interest in protecting by law the unique heterosexual union that creates, feeds, nurtures, and educates its massive citizenry from infancy to adulthood.
- Children need a long-term stable home that marriage law helps to ensure.
- Marriage law protects dependent spouses and children from economic destitution and poverty arising through spousal departure.
- Families formed without marriage contracts dissolve easily and repeatedly, leading to high rates of child neglect, abuse, and juvenile delinquency.
- Same-sex marriage threatens American democracy via judicial imposition of laws contrary to the democratically determined will of the American people.
- Gay marriage law removes basic freedoms with regard to religious ceremonies, the right to conscientious objection, and the right of parents to determine the educational curriculum for their own children.
- Legalization of gay marriage threatens constitutional rights of free speech under the guise of “hate speech” censorship laws.
- All cultures of human history have recognized marriage as a unique contract between men and women oriented to the long-term project of raising of families.
- Gay marriage defies nature’s own design; the parts don’t work that way.
- All major religions denounce same-sex marriage as against God and nature.